Activities are flexible tools for informal learning content that aren't intended for CPE credit. Activities may be completed by answering a quiz or selecting “Completed” to indicate the content has been reviewed.
Activities can range from blog post formats (like this post you’re reading) to a quick copy-paste with embedded links from your favorite sources (like YouTube) — and anywhere in-between. For example, you may use activities to share instructor tips or course resources, steps to setup a printer, or easy-to-reference department processes.
In addition to adding this type of content to your learning library, Activities may also be assigned to users or added as a required resource in Learning Tracks. Learn more about how to Assign content to your Learners to ensure they are well-equipped for their roles.
Creating an Activity
1. On the left navigation bar under Author click Activities Editor > Create Activity
2. Fill out the Activity information such as the title and the author of your content. The description text box is equipped with a formatting panel at the top that will allow you to style your content just as you would in a regular email or a blog post.
To keep the same formatting as a web page or another source, you may simply copy the data and paste into either the description box or the body of the activity. If you would like to paste the content without its original formatting, use your keyboard to press Command + Shift + V for Mac or Ctrl + Shift + V for PC.
Information entered in the description will be shown in your Activities library as a dropdown description snippet of the activity.
3. In the body of the article, enter your text or copy and paste it from a different source following the instructions above, including rich text web content directly from your browser into the editor. The formatting panel also allows you to:
- Include external links, such as a reference or resource located on your company intranet.
- Upload or insert images by selecting an image file on your computer or pasting the image URL. The image will then show in the editor and you’ll be able to align its placement and resize to fit how you’d like it to be shown.
- Embed videos in the article body by pasting the URL in the insert video field. This can be from a video hosting service such as YouTube or Vimeo, or an mp4 file that has been uploaded to your Prolaera account. See Activity Materials below to learn more.
4. Highlight Image: Browse and Upload an optional image (JPG, JPEG, or PNG) to further describe your activity.
5. Activity Materials: Browse and Upload any of the following file types (JPEG, PDF, or MP4) that may support your content.
- Files from your computer should be no larger than 262 x 146px and 50MB.
- You may also embed your own video in the body of the article. First upload the .mp4 file here in the Materials section. Once the upload is complete, click the Copy File URL button and paste the link into the video embedding tool as described above.
6. Add a Jotform ID or embed script tag as applicable.
7. Toggle on Hide From Library if you wish to make this activity only visible when assigned to specific users.
8. Toggle on Publish to activate the activity.
Activity Completion: Quiz or Self-Complete
To support knowledge understanding and retention, optional questions may be added in the text area below. Check the Required box to make it mandatory for completing the activity. You may add and remove questions as desired using the labeled buttons.
Next, choose a response for your end-users to show that the activity has been successfully completed.
1. Quiz: Build an informal multiple-choice test by following these steps:
- Toggle on/off Show Answers for users to see which of their answers are correct or incorrect after submission.
- Determine the passing completion rate
- Choose either a Fixed question lineup or a Question Bank containing a rotating number of questions. You may customize the number of questions and answers using the labeled buttons.
- Fixed: the user will need to answer all multiple-choice questions.
- Question Bank: The question bank feature gives you the ability to create a pool of questions which will be randomly chosen each time the quiz is loaded. This means each quiz will be unique and will cycle between the questions you’ve created. select a number to rotate the multiple-choice quiz questions. You'll need to add at least one more question than the chosen number. In this example, I've selected three questions, but I've added a fourth question below for the system to be able to rotate the questions for each user.
- Below is an example of how the quiz appears for the end-user:
2. Self-Complete: This completion type allows the end-user to simply check off the activity as completed after viewing the content as shown below.
The final step in authoring an activity is opting to add an expiration date to remove the activity from end-user access. Located below the completion settings, the Expiration section features a toggle to allow you to easily add a date and time as applicable. Learn more about this feature here.
Now that you've finished creating the activity, click Save to save as a draft or Publish to make it available to your learners.
Assign Activity To Users
1. From the Manage Activity page, switch to the Users tab at the top, then click the blue +Users button to select employees.
2. In the next window, you can search for users by departments, levels, locations, or simply by searching by name or email. Check the box next to each employee and click Add Selected.
3. When added, the Status will be listed as Assigned for all users. You may return to this tab for learner completion status, or download the data with activity reports by following these steps.
4. Once assigned, the selected users will automatically receive an email notification and will be able to view their activity by navigating to My Dashboard > My Courses > Activities.
5. To unassign an activity, from the Users tab first click on the Manage dropdown menu next to a user. Next select Unassign to remove the activity from the user's learning plan.
Please sign in to leave a comment.