What are custom fields?
Custom fields allow you to categorize, filter, and denote data in Prolaera. In general, they help you track information according to your team’s needs. The name and option of any field are up to you, and possibilities are almost endless.
Using Custom Fields
Depending on your workflow, you might find that your team could use the flexibility of Custom Fields to organize and find data in Prolaera. Here are a couple of scenarios to help you decide:
Create custom fields that are descriptive of your learning content to allow users to search the library with these additional filters. This will help your users narrow down to the most relevant CPE content. A few examples of these tags include topic or series, course duration, key competency, etc.
Using Custom Fields in your user's profiles allows you to add additional filterable data to your user groups, such as employment status, title, department, geographical region, industry type, etc. The flexibility of these fields allows you to customize user organization using your company's specific language and segmentation.
How to Create Custom Fields
1. Navigate to Settings > Custom Fields
2. Enter a title for your field under Add Field, then click the +New Field button to create.
3. On the next screen, you'll be prompted to add a Description of your new custom field: both detailed and brief (the shorter version is intended for the mobile application view). You may also select one or more Usage types to specify where the filters will be used. These are internal notes for Admin use only and will not appear in the library.
Refer to the example image below:
- Title: Competency
- Description: Use these to sort learning content by Company Competencies
- Short Description: Company Competency listings
- Usage: Activities
Toggle the Publish button to the right when ready to activate the custom field, or come back to this step when ready to publish the draft. Click the Save button to save all entered information.
Now that you've created the new field, you can add as many other descriptors as you'd like to further expand the search-- these are known as Options.
To add a new option:
1. Enter a title for the option under Add Option.
2. Click the +New Option to create, and the new option will be added to the list of this particular custom field (which was Topic in our example).
Manage Custom Fields and Options
The Custom Fields page within your company settings will list all created fields so you can manage the tools easily. This page will indicate whether fields have been published or in a draft format, the number of options created under each field, and additional actions that are detailed below.
- Publish will make the custom field active and can be applied as intended to either content or user profiles.
- Un-Publish will deactivate the custom field. It will no longer apply to future content or user profiles.
- Edit will allow you to change the name and any or all of the field descriptions along with the options associated with it.
- Delete will permanently remove the custom field.
Don’t worry about losing old custom field data. If you deactivate a custom field, your past data won’t disappear. You’ll still see the field on the past content, user profiles, and reports.
Each selected Field is organized similar to the main list of your Custom Fields. The options in any field may be Published/Un-Published, Edited, and Deleted at any time.
1. Click Edit next to the Field to update
2. Name a new option and click the +New Option to save.
From the actions column
1. Click the Edit button to update option title then Submit to save the new name.
2. Un-publish will deactivate the option for future use. Please note, this will not deactivate past content tags.
3. Delete will permanently remove the option.
Now you may add custom fields to any of your content and user profiles. Click here to learn how to use custom fields.